We’re thrilled to welcome DC Padur, Principal Program Manager at Microsoft, to Episode 33 of the Microsoft 365 Voice! We asked DC questions about all the new Home site capabilities announced at Microsoft Ignite 2020.
This year’s #MSIgnite was full of amazing announcements for SharePoint news, Home sites, Hubs, and the world of the intelligent intranet. If you haven’t had a chance to watch the sessions yet, here’s a short list of sessions to get you started:
- Build and launch a SharePoint home site: Tips and tricks from the product team
- Enabling collaboration, communication & knowledge sharing w/Microsoft Teams, SharePoint, Project Cortex, and more
- Architecting your intelligent intranet with SharePoint global navigation, hubs, and site designs
- SharePoint Communication Sites & the Modern Intranet: What’s New
- The Intranet is Dead. Long Live the Intranet. The SharePoint Intranet Vision and Strategy
- SharePoint News: What’s New & What’s Coming
- How to author dynamic intranet pages
- Creating an accessible SharePoint
Home site news to love
Home site “superpowers” are growing! When you elevate a SharePoint Communications site to be your Home site, your site gets superpowers like tenant-wide search, integration with the home icon in the SharePoint mobile app, and designation as an organizational news site. But now your Home site will give you the ability to configure Global Navigation in the new SharePoint App Bar and enable the new Home site app in Microsoft Teams!
Global Navigation and the new SharePoint App Bar (coming Q4 2020)
The SharePoint App Bar is a built-in navigation and way-finding experience for all users in your organization. The app bar has 4 tiles: Global Navigation, Frequent & followed sites, Recommended news, and Recent files. The Global Navigation tile is configured by your Home site administrator and will support up to 3 levels of navigation links with audience targeting capabilities.
Ability to configure & enable the new Home site app in Microsoft Teams (coming Q1 2021)
The Home site app seamlessly integrates your SharePoint intranet with Microsoft Teams. The home site app provides Teams users with a full intranet experience, global navigation, tenant-wide search, a personalized news feed, and quick access to their recently-used sites.
So much more to learn
Our conversation with DC Padur dives into these announcements and other key Home site features in much more detail. Listen in to learn how Home sites are changing the information architecture possibilities for your organization.
Have a Microsoft 365 question? Submit it online! Your question may be featured in a future podcast episode.